Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Fresh Starts and New Beginnings featuring Brita Addams

     I suppose to have a new beginning, you have to have something that draws you toward something else, different, new. Perhaps tragedy, sadness, or boredom.
     2014 had a personal profound impact on our family. In August, my husband was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. While we suspected the cause of the tremors in his left hand and jaw, hearing those words from the neurologist changed everything on a dime. I froze. No longer was I the gal with a gazillion questions, because honestly, I wasn’t prepared for the answers.
     “I came home and visited the Michael J. Fox webpage for his Parkinson’s foundation. There I read a ton of information, the most important being, “Parkinson’s is a life altering disease, but it isn’t a life ending disease.” That is the sum total of what I’ve read about it and that is all I will ever read. I’m too busy living life and so is Clint. He doesn’t want to know what he’s facing, because “it will take away from what I have today.”
     Upbeat and positive as always, he keeps me laughing and he actually thanks me for “laughing at my goofy shit.” “Why stop now,” I tell him. “I’ve been laughing at, er, with you for many years.”
     And so we go on, together, with our children and grandchildren, grateful for all we have, which is considerable. The meds are helping with the severe deterioration in strength. Clint can hold me again and make me feel his arms around me. That loss was significant and it’s so wonderful to have that back. We test his arm strength often, as good monitors of health should.
     I won’t deny that Parkinson’s has altered our lives, and I won’t tell you that I don’t rail against whatever brought this down on my wonderful darling’s head. I won’t even say that we’ve learned some profound lesson from it all. What I can tell you is, 2015 will bring what it brings and I wouldn’t want to begin a new year with anyone but him. I’ll be by his side every step of the way, as he has always stood by me. He encourages, rallies me when I flag, is my biggest cheerleader (looks great in the outfit too!) and most of all, loves me for being just me.
     I will leave you with the poem he wrote the day after he told me he loved me—nearly 40 years ago. In May, we celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary.
Letting
Just letting you be you and letting me be me
Has brought about this thing we do so naturally.
Without the slightest tension or effort on your part,
I reached down deep within my soul and offered you my heart.
You in turn repaid me, with love of equal kind.
The sort you seek forever and often never find.
So it’s not hard to picture how such a love can be.
Just letting you be you, and letting me be me.
     We all have something to gain when we live by such words. We begin each new year by reaffirming these words, and they have never been truer than they are now.

     While 2014 was my year of rewriting some of my previously published books, 2015 is the year that I will have new stuff. At the moment, I’m writing a novel set in 1920s New Orleans. I hope to have it finished by April and off to a publisher.
     In the meantime, I have a new release—Her Timeless Obsession, with Musa Publishing. Here’s the blurb:
                                                         A love that transcends time.
     Ever the explorer, Honey Danby discovers a treasure trove in her dusty 1910 London attic. Old trunks filled with clothes, journals, and love letters written between two lovers in 1810 entertain her and leave her longing for a time and a man long past. Dressed in an irresistible gown from one of the trunks, Honey discovers a heart-wrenching love story. When she learns that all was cruelly torn asunder, the handsome soldier's loving words written to his H. catapult Honey into an adventure that defies logic.
     When, dressed in a crisper version of the gown, Honey inexplicably awakens inside a rumbling horse-drawn carriage, she discovers she shares the antiquated vehicle with the man who tore the lovers apart. Can she convince this stranger to forego his unreasonable demands, or will history repeat itself on a misty August morn in Green Park?

About Brita Addams
      Born in a small town in upstate New York, Brita Addams has made her home in the sultry south for many years. In the Frog Capital of the World, Brita shares her home with her real-life hero—her husband, and a fat cat named Stormee. All their children are grown.
     Given her love of history, Brita writes both het and gay historical romance. Many of her historicals have appeared on category bestseller lists at various online retailers.
     Musa Publishing publishes Brita’s heterosexual historical romances, including the rewritten and expanded, best-selling Sapphire Club series, each with new titles. Again, each of the titles have again hit the best-selling lists at various online vendors.
     Tarnished Gold, the first in her gay romance Tarnished series for Dreamspinner Press, was a winner in the 2013 Rainbow Awards, Historical Romance category. The book also received nominations for Best Historical and Best Book of 2013 from the readers of the Goodreads M/M Romance Group.
     A bit of trivia—Brita pronounces her name, Bree-ta, and not Brit-a, like the famous water filter. Brita Addams is a mash-up of her real middle name and her husband's middle name, with an additional d and s.
Readers can find more information about Brita Addams at any of the following places:
Monthly column at The Novel Approach

Please stay in touch by subscribing to my monthly newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment