Thursday, January 22, 2015

Fresh Starts and New Beginnings featuring Sean Michael


     Thank you to WON for having me.
     So we were asked to write about fresh starts and new beginnings and I have to admit, I’m not good with New Year’s resolutions. I tend not to make them because inevitably, I don’t follow through, or if it’s a daily thing, I’ll miss a day and then feel like a failure. So in general I just don’t do them because who wants to set themselves up for failure?
      That doesn’t mean I don’t love new beginnings, though, because I really do. When it comes to characters and books, the beginning is my very favorite part.
      I adore the part in a book where I come up with the idea and I have a blank document in front of me waiting for me to start typing. Even better is when a new character pops into my head and introduces himself, tells me his story. I love learning all about him and the man (sometimes men) who love(s) him.
      The fastest part of writing any story for me is the beginning. I rush headlong into the new story, following where it takes me with great excitement. There’s this feeling of tell me more, tell me more! It’s rush, a high and I chase it eagerly.
     Sometimes this rush of the new beginning lasts for a few thousand words, if I’m very lucky it lasts for a lot longer than that. Luckily, the characters demand their full stories told, even when another character with another beginning might be knocking at my brain, so stories do get finished, even when they’re no longer new to me.
     With Lucien and Trey of Size Matters and Love Matters, I got two beginnings. I started writing Love Matters first, where both characters were new to me, but it wasn’t the beginning of their story, they were already lovers. So I had the chance to go back and write Size Matters which told the story of how Trey and Lucien met. Double the beginnings meant both books were written with that new story smell on them, that new beginning rush lasting and lasting through the short story and most of the novel.

Love Matters

     For ten years they’ve done things Trey’s way. Now Lucien wants more. He wants to be with his lover full-time. Is Trey ready? Will he ever be?
      Ten years after they first met and fell in love, Lucien and Trey are still together—after a fashion. Terrified that he’s going to become entirely dependent on Lucien, Trey calls his lover to come spend four to five days with him whenever he finishes a novel. Lucien wants more, but up until now has been willing to bow to Trey’s wishes.
     Finally broaching the idea of seeing each other more often, during Trey’s writing periods, Lucien suggests that they begin to date each other on Friday nights. Trey agrees to the experiment and begins to flourish as Lucien gets him out of the house more—to eat, to swim, to visit the beach.
      But can Trey remain faithful to his work ethic, get the job done with his novels and enjoy the distractions and adventures Lucien plans for him? Or will Lucien’s desire to have more break them apart?
      Only time will tell.


Sean Michael
Smut fixes everything
www.seanmichaelwrites.com

No comments:

Post a Comment