Saturday, January 10, 2015

Fresh Starts and New Beginnings Featuring Bronwyn Heeley

     Hi everyone I’m Bronwyn Heeley, and I’m here to talk about what I guess everyone else is, Beginnings or Fresh Starts.

     Even though this time last year was when my first work was published, I still find myself at the beginning of this one standing here wanting a fresh start, because for me last year didn’t work out as well as I hoped.

     I started last year with the hope of writing a book a month of my series. It didn’t work. Instead, I’ve gotten to a point where I can’t even stand to look at it. Therefore, this year I wanted to take things differently, I want to start all over again, not in the footsteps of anyone else, but where I stand, because I’ve never been great at being someone I’m not, yeah I can follow, I but I can’t be changed.  

     I’m not sure if this is what they really meant, but I have been blessed enough in life, to not have a moment in my life that I have hit rock bottom and needed a fresh start. I was getting close right before I feel pregnant but that shifted me into a different direction so fast I didn’t have time to really stop and think of how my life’s going and if I wanted to go down this road or not. I didn’t have a choice, I just had to run with the decisions I made.

     This time around, I had to stop and make a decision, either force myself to write a series I couldn’t stand to look at, and coming out with nothing to show for it, or work that no one wanted to read, or change the way I saw myself as a writer.

     The first thing I realised was that I wasn’t up to being the type of author I wanted to start the year out as. I can’t write book after book, month after month, I’d go insane, but more importantly I would get bored and end up moving onto something else in life.

     I didn’t want this. I want to make this my career, one that will take me to my grave, and that means I need to be myself and write the way I write. It shouldn’t bore me. I have always been a writer, even when I never thought this option was available to me. My dad even says he’s more surprised by my sudden reading habit then me becoming an author. But with this past year I have, on more than one occasion, asked myself if this is what I wanted, not because of the work you have to put into it, but because of the boredom and the utter lack of drive I have when it came to doing what I tried to push myself into doing month after month.

     Therefore, this year it will be different. I will be different—or more so I will be me, and me, is having a different book, something that might be the exact same as the one before, or could be completely different, in a direction I’d never thought I’d ever go in before.

     I have learnt that I need to push myself. I need to write what’s uncomfortable to me, what’s interesting, and what’s in my head at any given moment. And that’s what I’m going to do, that’s how I’m entering this second year of my writing career. I just won’t be able to tell you how it all works out for me until the end.


     If you’d like to learn more, visit me on my blog at http://bronwynheeley.blogspot.com 

1 comment:

  1. As Popeye would say, "I yam what I yam." Follow your bliss because it truly does come through to the readers if you're not being true to yourself in your writing.

    ReplyDelete