Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Getting Lucky featuring Tempeste O’Riley

     Luck is one of those great mystery things as far as I’m concerned. What one thinks is a lucky break; another busted their butt to get. What another feels is their luck changing is often not seen in a positive light. For me, luck is a bit of hard work and timing (the later we rarely get to influence, sadly).
     As for me ‘getting lucky’, I’d have to say that would be landing my first choice publisher. When I wrote my first book—Designs of Desire—I was afraid to send it in to any publishers, but especially to my first choice. However, my participating in Six Sentence Sunday had garnered the story its own fans, who demanded the rest of the story, lol. I also had some good friends that pushed until I gave in and submitted my baby.
     The day my acceptance letter (email, but who’s counting? I still have that puppy saved too :D) arrived, I felt like the luckiest person alive! Now, that might not be everyone’s idea of lucky (I know, you were hoping for some yummy smut, sorry ;)), but for an aspiring author, it’s pretty much to greatest day ever.
     Now, if we’re talking personal lucky... well, since I have to keep it clean *pout* I’ll have to go for having my... Nope, that’s not PG rated. Well, then, how about... Nope, that definitely NOT PG, lol.
     Going to my first drag show in years and not only having a wonderful time—and seeing some of the hottest drag queens ever!—but I was able to meet some of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence! They are wonderful people and I am simply amazed by all the good they while wearing a pound of makeup and heels. (I would kill myself if I even thought hard about the heels!) I love meeting new people, but even more so when those people help others. The local Sisters spend a lot of time helping the youth in our area, something many know if support 100%.
     So meeting them counts on my list of lucky. I even got a pic with them, my ugly mug in the middle. I will be looking into ways I might can help support their efforts as our youth are always in need, sadly.
     One of my stories that came out last year is part of the Hope & Love anthology. All proceeds go to the local LGBT Center in Milwaukee, by the way, and they make a huge difference in the lives of both young and not so young alike. Their Project Q does amazing things! Here’s a small excerpt from Micah’s Medicine:
-----
     The light flashed the little walking guy, pulling his focus back to now, so he took off across the street, deciding to head to the park nearby. It wasn’t one of those kiddie parks like his mom tended to drag him to. No, the one he headed to was a skate park near the beach. He also knew there was a good chance he’d run into his friend, but like always, push the thoughts that accompanied them away. He wasn’t willing to lose his friend just because boys, not girls, were what caught his attention. Micah had learned to keep his wandering eyes to himself, though Perry made it hard.
     Rolling along the sidewalk, he was careful to stay out of the way of the people walking, not wishing to hear about being disrespectful when he got home—everyone in the neighborhood knew him, after all. Most of the way to the park, he heard someone shout his name from behind.
     Micah stopped and turned, surprised to see Perry running up behind him. Why does he have to be so freakin’ hot? Perry, or Pericles Mann, strode up, though he seemed a little stiff in his movements. He stopped in front of Micah, a light sheen of sweat already covered his tall, lanky body. His purple and black hair had that messy bed-head look so many of the guys worked hard for, but Micah knew that was just the way Perry looked. It too serious work and the weird hair paste stuff his dad got him, to make it into anything resembling “presentable.” Not that either of them ever cared about such things. He wore low-hanging loose shorts and a tight tank top, drawing Micah’s eyes everywhere they shouldn’t be.
     Perry panted, bent forward with his hands on his knees. He looked up and grinned. “Thanks for stopping, man. Been trying to catch you for two blocks!”
     “Sorry, Perry, didn’t hear ya. What’s up?” He noticed Perry didn’t have his board with him, or his bike for that matter. Weird.
     “Need a favor, if you’ve got time tomorrow.” Perry stood up straighter but his eyes no longer met Micah’s, that alone was enough to worry him.
    “’Course. What ‘cha need?” he asked, confused as he watched his best friend fidget.
     “I, um, I need a ride to the doctor and to the store tomorrow afternoon. But I don’t want my dad knowing,” he added in a rush.
     Micah thought about why Perry would go to the clinic without his dad—the shopping thing was normal. Neither set of parents approved of how they dressed, their boards, bikes, or on Perry’s case, hair. He shrugged. “Of course. Tell me the when and I come pick you up.”
     “Sweet! Thanks.”
     “No problem. Hey, where’s your board. I was heading to work on some new tricks.”
     Perry’s lips pulled down in a slight grimace. “Not today, ’kay. I’ll go watch and heckle, if you want,” he said, slinging his arm over Micah’s shoulder as they turned to walk the rest of the way to the park.
     Forced to bite the inside of his cheek, Micah reminded himself, again, that lusting after Perry was a bad idea. One doomed to be something he kept to his dreams and shower activities. “Sure. Maybe you can pick up some pointers. You know, so you don’t embarrass yourself so often.”
     Chuckling, Perry shoved him away. “Jerk. I can take you any day of the week, and you know it!”
     The image of Perry hovering over him flashed through his head before he could stop it. Thankfully, he didn’t think Perry noticed the small groan that slipped out. “Put up or shut up, and since I don’t see your board...”
-----
     Tempeste O’Riley is a pansexual gender fluid whose best friend growing up had the courage to do what she couldn’t–defy the hate and come out. He has been her hero ever since. She counts her friends, family, and Muse as her greatest blessings in life. She lives in Wisconsin with her children, reading, writing, and enjoying life.

Reach Tempeste at:




 

No comments:

Post a Comment