Thursday, February 5, 2015

First Love or Heartbreak featuring D F Krieger

           Like many authors, I find love to be a fascinating concept. First love, though, is the most fascinating of all. We read about it in romance novels. That first glance, the first kiss, the love at first sight. We swoon, we fantasize, then we finish the book and move on. February is the month of love, where cold winter nights are glamoured in the cloak of softly falling snow as you cuddle the one you love in front of a crackling fire place. *Sigh*

But first love? To quote the 1980’s movie, Legend, “Love you say? Love is a different matter.” When many people think of first love, they often mistake it for “first crush,” “first spouse,” etc. When I think of first love, my thoughts travel back to my first pet. Yep, my black cat Ebony, who was my constant companion from the time I was 4 until I was 11. I was absolutely devastated when he passed away, and despite the numerous pets I’ve had since, Ebony has always stood out in my mind. I loved him. I truly, honestly loved him.

To me, love is when you care deeply about a person despite everything. Despite knowing their faults (he brought me a dead bunny once during Easter weekend and my brother tormented me that he’d killed the Easter Bunny and we’d never have Easter again. It took me a full week to forgive that poor cat.) Despite knowing their habits, both good and bad (he would follow me down the block to the library and sit outside the doors, waiting for an unsuspecting patron to open the door so he could race in, calling loudly for me. It did not score brownie points with the librarians.) Despite their differences (he could never understand why I always rudely rejected his presents of mice and birds.) Despite everything that could come between you both. Love is loving them despite it all.

Sometimes, we take our true first loves for granted. We’re so busy dreaming about that first romance that we forget to appreciate or understand the very definition of love. Love, for me, was the black cat waiting in the rain at the bus stop for me to come home from school. Love was the purring ball that let me soak his fur with my tears when my parents declared they hated each other and wanted a divorce. Love was a little black cat who gave me everything a friend could ask for, even when I didn’t know I needed it (even when it came in the form of a decapitated Easter Bunny.)

Who was your first love?

Want to know more about D. F. Krieger? You can find her at her website (dfkrieger.com) or on her blog (dfkrieger.blogspot.com)

1 comment:

  1. Love spell came out tremendously, I highly recommending robinson.buckler@yahoo.com for whatever problems you are experiencing in your relationship. He is the real deal. his love spell is absolutely wonderful.contact Robinson buckler or call him +19715126745
    Elizabeth kings, USA

    ReplyDelete